Darien High School Blue Wave Squash Team 2022-2023
Practices will take place at Chelsea Piers. Our season runs from November 28, 2022 up until the February 2023 school break. Varsity players finish the season at Nationals, which takes place February 23-26, 2023.
Week of March 6:
We look forward to seeing everyone who signed up at the End of Season Banquet on Sunday, March 12th at 6:45pm. This event takes place at Country Club of Darien, 300 Mansfield Ave, Darien. Parents have been emailed information about attire and cellphone policy at the Club.
Week of 2/20-
-Good luck to the DHS Boys and Girls Varsity teams who will be competing at Nationals from Feb 24-26!
-We hope to see all DHS Squash players at the end of season banquet on Sunday, March 12. Register by Feb 24th via SchoolCashOnline.com
Week of 2/13-
- This is the last week of practices and JV team matches.
-Voting for captains for next season will take place at regular practices this week.
-Varsity teams will have mandatory meeting at their practices this week to review Nationals schedule and rules. A copy of the rules will also be sent to parents.
-School Cash Online payment request for End of Season Banquet on March 12 is posted. Be sure to register by 2/24. Late registrations will not be accepted.
**Be sure to contact Will Newnham asap if you can not attend a match.
-Boys Varsity and JV (all players) away at Hopkins School. Bus leaves from DHS immediately after school. Return time estimated for 6:45/7pm. Boys JV players should return their uniforms (t-shirts) at the end of this match.
-Girls Varsity vs. Briarcliff at Chelsea Piers. 7pm arrival time. DAF will be streaming this match. Link can be found here:
-Boys Varsity vs. Staples at Chelsea Piers. 7pm arrival time. DAF will be streaming this match. Link can be found here:
-Girls JV vs. Staples at Intensity in Norwalk. 7pm arrival time. Address is 490 Westport Ave, Norwalk. Girls should return their dresses at the end of this match. Please be sure to bring a change of clothes.
We look forward to seeing everyone at the End of Season Banquet!
Week of 2/6
-The School Cash Online payment request for the End of Season Banquet on March 12 is open. Please submit payment by the Feb 24th deadline. All players are strongly encouraged to attend and parents are invited!
-All girls are invited to Team Pasta Dinner at 6pm on Tuesday, 2/7 at the home of Ali Meyer. Address will be texted to the girls.
-Juniors wishing to be considered for captain, please get completed applications to Will N at practice this week. Votes take place the week of 2/13.
-Girls and Boys Varsity teams- Prior to practices the week of 2/13, please arrive by 2:45. We will be meeting to review the logistics and team rules for Nationals. This is a required meeting for all players attending Nationals.
-Since the Boys V team will not be using their court time on Wednesday, 2/8, all JV players are invited to come during this time for round robin play from 3-4:30pm. The usual bus from DHS to Chelsea Piers will be avalable to get players to this optional team opportunity.
Matches this week:
- Boys and Girls V teams play Rye Country Day. Bus leaves DHS at 2:40. Please board bus dressed to play. Top 9 V boys and top 10 girls on roster to play.
Week of 1/30-
-Boys JV and V have a match on Monday, Jan 30th at Hackley School. A bus will leave from DHS at 2:45. Please board bus in uniform. We are bringing all boy players to this match.
-And Girls V have a match on Monday, Jan 30th vs. Bronxville at Chelsea Piers. Arrival time 7pm. Practice is still ON for Monday as well.
-Boys Varsity match vs. Bronxville on Wednesday, 2/1 at Chelsea Piers. 7pm arrival/7:30pm start.
-Boys JV match vs. Westport on Wednesday, 2/1 at Chelsea Piers. 7pm arrival/7:30pm start.
-Girls V and JV match at Hackley on Thursday, 2/2. Bus will leave DHS at 2:45. All girls should change at DHS before boarding bus!
-Boys V match vs. Episcopal on Saturday, 2/4, at Brunswick School, 1252 King Street, Greenwich. 2pm arrival time. 2:30 match time.
-And matches on Monday, 2/6 for Girls JV, Girls V and Boys JV. Please check schedule tab for details.
-Boys team pasta dinner on Friday, 2/3, at 6pm at the Zhao home, 11 Hiilside Ave. All boy players on JV and V are invited to attend!
-School Cash Online payment for the End of Season Banquet will go out this week. The deadline to pay is Feb 24. We will not accept late payments for this event. All players and their parents are invited to this gahering, which will take place on Sunday, March 12, at 6pm at Country Club of Darien.
-A girls team (JV and V) pasta dinner is scheduled for Tuesday, Feb 7.
-Varsity players: meetings regarding Nationals will take place at 2:45 on your respective practice days during the week of 2/6. Please be sure to arrive early for this meeting.
-Captains applications will be available to all juniors who wish to be considered for captain next season. These are due back the week of 2/6. Votes will take place the week of 2/13 at team practices.
The 1/25 Boys JV and V match against Hopkins School has been rescheduled for Feb. 13th. Details are on the schedule tab.
-The FairWest Middle School Jamboree takes place this Saturday, 2/4, at Chelsea Piers. The League welcomes having a few HS students on hand over the course of the day to help make the day and matches go smoothly. The biggest help is often just assisting some of the younger less experienced players referee matches or sitting in when we are short referees. We might also be able to put some volunteers to work helping to get match results entered into ClubLocker real-time. Time commitment would be 2-3 hours per student and volunteer credit is available. Other towns have players helping at this event and we’d very much like to have some DHS students there to help as well.
- There is a Darien Youth Squash Round Robin at the Ox Ridge Club on Sunday, 2/5, from 5-7pm. We’d like two DHS squash student volunteers to help with this. Please note that white clothing is required at this location. Again, volunteer credits are available.
Week of 1/23
-We return to regular practices this week. Everyone is expected to attend! Bus will bring everyone to practices after school.
- No practice for Boys V on Wednesday, Jan 25 due to match at Hopkins. (See below details)
-Save the date for the End of Season Banquet on Sunday, March 12 at 6pm at Country Club of Darien.
-Girls JV match on Monday, Jan 23 at Chelsea Piers against Rye Black. 7pm arrival, 7:30 match start. Roster is:
- Jackson, Fahrman, Pierpont, Charney, West, P. Melnick, M. Melnick, Calvillo, Streeter, Durango.
-Boys JV match on Monday, Jan 23 at Intensity in Norwalk. Address is 490 Westport Ave, Norwalk. Roster is:
- Kelsey, Stravato, G. Banks, Thibodeau, MacGregor, Mihopoulos, Polka, Romanowski, Eiref and Torti.
-Boys Varsity and JV (All players on rosters) matches on Wednesday, Jan 25, at Hopkins School in New Haven. Match time is 4pm. Bus leaves DHS immediately after school and will likely return around 7pm.
-Senior Night! Saturday, 1/28, at 5pm at the home of the Ashcraft Family. 22 Swifts Lane, Darien. All players are iencourage to attend
Also, Boys JV and V have a match on Monday, Jan 30th at Hackley School. A bus will leave from DHS after school.
And Girls V have a match on Monday, Jan 30th vs. Bronxville at Chelsea Piers. Arrival time 7pm.
Week of 1/16:
- Save the date! End of Season Banquet on Sunday, March 12 at 6:00pm. All players and parents are invited.
- No Girls V practice on Monday, 1/16 due to MLK Day. V Girls are invited to join the Girls JV practice on Tuesday, 1/17.
- All practices this week are optional, but highly encouraged... LOTS of matches coming up soon! All practices in following weeks are mandatory.
- No bus to practice this week due to midterm schedule
- Matches begin again!
- Thursday, Jan 19
- Boys V vs. Scarsdale at 8:00pm (7:30 arrival time. PLEASE LEAVE TIME FOR TRAFFIC) at Westchester Squash Academy, 628 Fayette Avenue, Mamaroneck, New York, 10543,
- Girls V vs. Rye at 7:30 PM (7:00 PM arrival time) at Chelsea Piers
- Saturday, Jan 21
- Boys V Round Robin at Brunswick. Schedule is (arrival at least 30 minutes prior to each match):
9:30 / 10:00am:
St. Andrew's vs Darien
12:30 / 1:00pm (flexible start time):
Brunswick vs Darien
Haverford vs St. Andrews
4:30pm / 5:00pm (flexible based on 2nd match)
Brunswick vs St. Andrew's
Haverford vs Darien
- Sunday, Jan 22
- Boys and Girls JV Teams vs. Street Squash at Street Squash in NYC (115th Street). There is a bus for this match. BUS LEAVES DHS AT 8:30 AM SHARP and probably will return to Darien around 1pm.
- Girls JV and Boys JV also have matches on Monday, 1/23. See schedule for details.
Week of 1/9:
- Due to midterms, all practices this week are optional but encouraged. This is DHS policy. Players MUST NOTIFY Coach Will if they do not plan to attend practice.
- There will be a bus on Monday and Thursday (full days of school) to bring players to practice. No bus on Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Boys JV has a match on Friday, 1/13, at 6:00pm at Chelsea Piers. 6pm arrival time.
- Due to MLK Day next Monday, Girls V players may come to the Tuesday, 1/17, practice.
Week of 1/2:
- Due to no school on Monday, Jan 2, there is no Girls V practice that day. Instead, Girls V players are invited to attend practive on Tuesday, Jan 3, with the Girls JV team.
- BOYS V team photo will be taken on Wednesday, Jan 4 before practice. Please bring your team shirt and white shorts for this photo.
- Due to a coaching shortage:
- The Girls V and JV match on Wednesday, Jan 4, may be postponed. Please check back for updates.
- The Girls V match on Saturday, Jan 7 is canceled. The match against New Canaan has been rescheduled for Monday, Feb. 6th. Details can be found on the "Schedule" tab.
- The Boys V match against New Canaan on Friday, Jan 6, has been moved to Chelsea Piers.
Week of 12/12-
- Monday, 12/12- Girls JV Match vs. Rye at Chelsea Piers. 7:00 arrival time. Players are responsible for getting themselves to CP.
- Tuesday, 12/13- Girls V Match vs. City Squash @ Fordham. Bus will take players to match and leaves DHS at 4:15. Match time is 6pm.
Wednesday, 12/14- Boys V match vs. Greenwich @ Greenwich Field Club. 7:00pm arrival time. Players are responsible for getting themselves to the Field Club. Address is 276 Lake Ave, Greenwich and courts are to the right of the main clubhouse.
Saturday, 12/17- Boys and Girls JV teams in FairWest Round Robin at Chelsea Piers. 12:30 pm arrival time. Each team plays Hartford and Rye. Players are responsible for getting themselves to CP.
Week of 12/5-
Co-pays for team participation will be sent out via School Cash Online this week.
Varsity Team photos for Booster Club Spirit Posters will be take at practice this week.
Pasta Dinner for all teams on Tuesday, Dec. 6 at 5:30pm in DHS Cafeteria
Matches this week! Specifics are on "Schedule" tab. Please come dressed for matches (before boarding bus):
Girls Varisty and JV matches:
-Wednesday, 12/7, at Hopkins School. Bus leaves DHS after school.
-Saturday, 12/10, at Choate. Bus leaves DHS at 2pm.
Boys Varsity Match vs. Rye on Thursday, 12/8 at Lifetime Athletics. Meet at Lifetime. Arrival time is 35 minutes prior to match.
Rosters for all teams are complete!
2022-2023 Team Rosters
BUS PICKUP LOCATION CHANGED!
Bus to tryouts and all practices from DHS to Chelsea Piers:
A bus to Chelsea Piers will leave from the Bus Loop immediately after school. We do not have a bus number, but the bus will be pulled to the side and not lined up with the other buses. All players except seniors who have submitted self driving forms should plan to take the bus to practice. As a reminder, seniors may not drive other students to practice. Squash bags may be left in the area by the entrance to the Main Gym during the day. Players should be picked up at Chelsea Piers at the end of practice.
Pasta Dinner for all DHS Teams!
All DHS Squash players are invited to the 1st pasta dinner of the season!
Tuesday, Dec. 6, 5:30pm at the DHS Cafeteria.
A sign up sheet for food and beverages will be sent to parents later this week!
Attendance at practices and ladder matches is mandatory. Exceptions are illness, family emergency or participation in a US Squash tournament.
Begin the week of December 6
Boys Practice Times at
- Boys Varsity- Wednesdays, 3-4:30pm
- Boys JV- Thursdays, 3-4:30pm
Girls Practice Times at
- Varsity- Mondays, 3-4:30pm*
- JV- Tuesdays, 3-4:30pm
*On dates when there is no school on Monday, Girls V practice will be moved to another day of the week. We will post this schedule before the season begins.
Please come dressed to play
Bring goggles or iMask, racquet, squash sneakers and water bottle
Players are responsible for keeping track of their personal belongings
MATCH SCHEDULE - Please visit "Schedule" tab
Boy's Captains: Andrew Banks, Will Koons and David Zhao
Girl's Captains: Ali Meyer, Grace Mitrano and Amanda Type
You will be able to purchase your items online in 3 easy steps.
- Visit the store:
- Choose your items and add them to your cart
- Securely checkout with your credit card
*Please note that we will be updating this section on an ongoing basis as Covid policies continue to change.
- All players are required to wear goggles on court.
- For players who chose to wear a face mask, masks may cause your goggles to haze or fog. If you are experiencing this, we encourage you to purchase a face shield, e.g., iMask. The iMask+ WSD Mid Length Face Shield product has been designed for the specific needs of Squash Players. The slightly shorter visor allows for freedom of movement while still protecting the face area. This protective barrier can help in the fight against COVID-19, and also provide impact resistance to protect your face from ball or racquet strike. The iMask comes in adult and junior sizes (11% smaller for 7-10 year olds), and can be worn over Rx glasses. You can learn more about the iMask (WSD Mid Length Face Shield) at https://www.imaskusa.com/
Some venues hosting matches may require that all players be vaccinated against Covid.
- Be ready to play at start of practice. Chelsea Piers locker rooms are available for players to chaneg before practice.
- Drop your bag in the designated area outside your court
- Bring your own equipment: towel, goggles, racquet, and filled water bottles
DRESS CODE & EQUIPMENT
- Bring non-marking sneakers, squash goggles, squash racquet, towel and water bottle
- Wear street shoes into the clubhouse, and change into squash sneakers before getting on court
- Players are responsible for keeping track of their personal belongings.
CODE OF CONDUCT
- The Codes of Conduct exist to elevate and maintain the high standard of sportsmanship in squash competition. They have been developed to maintain enjoyment and safety at accredited events, and are aligned with US Squash values of fairness, sportsmanship, and respect.
- Read more at https://www.leagueathletics.com/Page.asp?n=110341&org=dariensquash.com
RULES OF SQUASH
- This ABBREVIATED VERSION of the World Singles Squash Rules is to help players to understand the basics. All players should read the complete Rules. The Rule numbers in brackets in each heading refer to the full Rules. This amendment is effective from 1st April 2009.
- Read more at https://www.leagueathletics.com/Page.asp?n=72745&org=dariensquash.com
MARKING & REFEREEING
US SQUASH ACCOUNT
About Darien High School Blue Wave Squash
The Darien HIgh School squash team is a group of student-athletes at DHS who are interested in competing in junior level squash. Darien Squash leadership is composed of parent volunteers interested in organizing and facilitating the efforts of the student-athletes. All coaching and training are provided by outside professional programs. Regional and National competitions will allow the athletes to compete with athletes from other programs. Darien Squash aims to challenge its athletes with continual instruction in a fun and active environment with the best interests of the athletes as the first consideration.
The safety the athletes is our primary concern. The potential for injury is inherent in all sports. Even with the best coaching, the most advanced protective equipment, and a strict observance of rules, injuries can happen. Although serious injuries are not common in supervised athletic programs, it is impossible to eliminate the risk. Parents and students must be willing to accept the risks associated with sports participation.
As in all competitive sports, good sportsmanship is to be adhered to by all players during clinics and matches. Good sportsmanship is a learned behavior and will be reinforced by the coaches and DHS Squash leadership. Parents can play a great part in having their children practice good sportsmanship by being positive role models. Squash is a sport that takes place within an enclosed court. All behavior is in plain sight of coaches, fans, and other players.
FairWest Squash League
The DHS Squash Team is part of he FairWest Squash League which includes ~10 schools and ~400 players in the Fairfield-Westchester area. The FairWest League looks to grow their numbers, and provide a place for players of all levels—whether those who are top-ranked Gold/JCT competitors or just beginners—including private and public school students, to play and get better at squash. It is an outlet for squash players, who may not have the best team programs at their schools, to play more often and with other kids of their same level, or better.
US Squash is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization which serves as the only national governing body and membership organization for the sport in the United States. Founded in 1904 and headquartered in New York City, it is a member of the U.S. Olympic Committee, the Pan American Squash Federation and the World Squash Federation.